Monday 10 September 2018

Little bit about me


Subject: Self-introduction

Dear Prof Brad,

I am writing to you to introduce myself, my name is Jarod Chia studying in Sustainable Infrastructure (Land). I graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in Clean energy. Studying Clean energy has taught me much about the different ways we can harness energy from our surroundings and use them to power our cities. I believe that in the future with fossil fuels being depleted, we need to start looking into renewable energy as a power source for the near future.

My purpose in continuing my studies in Sustainable Infrastructure, is to build on my foundations of electrical engineering and learn about mechanical engineering. In the past, I did not learn any physics in secondary school or polytechnic. Therefore, one of my concerns is learning physics from scratch and keeping up with the classes. Some goals that I have in this module is to improve on my workplace communication skills and improve on my writing skills. These two skills would allow me to communicate well In a workplace as communication is important to relay instructions as well as information.

During my time in Temasek Polytechnic, I realized that I am confident in giving presentations in front of the class. This is provided I had enough time to prepare for the presentation or that I am well versed in the topic I was presenting on. One weakness that I have is structuring my sentences to allow myself to express my thoughts and ideas smoothly. Many times, I get stuck trying to figure out how to carry on and keep the flow of the sentence.

I hope that this module would build on the communication skills that I learned from my secondary and polytechnic school days and teach new skills that can be used in the future.

Best regards,
Jarod

6 comments:

  1. Thanks very much, Jarod, for posting this detailed letter. I look forward to reading some of your peer’s comments before I make any of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jarod,

    Good content and neat paragraphs. You are one of the most confident guy I have known so far, keeping pursuing your goals and I believe you can succeed soon. See you in class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jarod,

    Thanks again for this letter, which covers all the content bases. In terms of language, heer are a few areas to review:

    1) verb use
    -- Some goals that I have in this module is ... >>> (subject-verb disagreement)
    -- This is provided I had enough time to prepare for the presentation or that I am well versed in the topic I was presenting on. >>> (inconsistent verb tense usage)
    -- I hope that this module would build... >>> (use of 'would')

    2) sentence structure
    -- I am writing to you to introduce myself, my name is Jarod Chia studying in Sustainable Infrastructure (Land). >>> (run on sentence)

    I hope to see the revisions in your next draft.

    Cheers,

    Brad


    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jarod,

    Thank you for sharing! I believe your passion for clean energy along with your knowledge that you will get out of this degree program will enable you to make a difference!

    Just some feedback on your letter, I feel you can afford to share more about your hobbies. Look forward to seeing you in class!

    Regards
    Zaccheus

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jarod,

    Overall the content is very interesting, hope to learn some tips of how to give a good presentations from you.

    Cheers,
    Ian

    ReplyDelete